Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Meatloaf - full of flavor, not of breadcrumbs

As my cravings for protein seem to increase, so has the desire to make meals from my once dreaded ingredient: ground beef.  Once you have an up-close & personal introduction to E-Coli, it's easy to refrain from cooking this household staple.  Ah....but those were the good 'ole days when I would eat pasta seven days a week for dinner. 

While cruising thru my favorite foodie magazine, Cook's Illustrated, I came across a recipe for 'Memorable Meatloaf'.  I've tried it before, not a fan, but this one was memorable AND was topped with bacon.  That peaked my interest.  I know the binding agent for meatloaf is traditionally breadcrumbs (gluten alert) and eggs but the test kitchen wrote that quick oatmeal was an equal for the starch filler.  Oatmeal?  Meatloaf?  I had to try it.  And yes reader, I loved it! This All-American Dinner has finally found a home in my Gluten Lite kitchen.

Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf
Glaze
1/2 c ketchup
1/4 c brown sugar
4 t cider vinegar

Meatloaf
2 large eggs
1/2 t thyme
1 t salt
2 t ground mustard
2 t Worchester sauce
2 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1/2 c milk
2 lbs. meatloaf mix (50/50 ground beef & pork is what I use)
2/3 c quick oatmeal flakes
8-12 slices uncooked bacon


1. FOR THE GLAZE: Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan.  Set aside.

2. FOR THE MEATLOAF:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, mix eggs with seasonings & milk.  Add the meat along with oatmeal and mix with fork/hands until evenly blended and meat mixture doesn't stick to the bowl. (if it sticks, add a dash of milk until it no longer sticks)

3.  Pat meat mixture onto a foil-lined wire rack set in a shallow baking pan - making a free-form loaf.  Brush loaf with half of glaze, and then arrange bacon sliced, crosswise, over the loaf (overlapping slightly) and tucking tip ends under loaf.

4. Bake loaf until bacon is crisp and meat registers 160 degrees on a thermometer.  About 1 hour and 15 min.  Simmer remaining glaze over medium heat until thickened slightly.  Once loaf has rested for 15 min, slice meatloaf and serve with extra glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment